Wednesday 13 February 2013

China helps Tanzania & Zambia - Foothold in Africa

I am simply amazed at the foresight and vision of the Chinese Govt in gaining clout in all minerally endowed regions of the world ! During my assignment in the UN Mission in Ethiopia-Eritrea, I used to catch Ethiopian Airlines from Delhi. Guess where the flight originated from ? Yes, you guessed it right...Beijing !

During the flight we had numbers of suitcase-businessmen...ready to sell you anything from watches, torches or whatever ! During my stint in that region I saw the EU supported projects diminish and the Red Star sponsored projects appear everywhere ! In fact when I asked for incense-sticks in Asamra (Eritrean capital), I was surprised to see Chinese agarbattis !

Anyways, this is a great book on the amazing China has had on helping African Nations feel obliged to the Chinese ever-increasing financial clout !


Africa's Freedom Railway: How a Chinese Development Project Changed Lives ...

 By Jamie Monson



No comments: